Thursday 22 November 2012

confessions of a self-acclaimed nonconformist

I bought boots today. I mean wellies, wellingtons, rain boots. For the first time in my life. I know there are more important things going on in the world as you read this, but hey. Big news for me. I'll tell you why. I feel very grown up. Since becoming an independent, self-sufficient adult (at least I delude myself of being one) I have had difficulties buying things, really necessary, wise things. I like making do. I tend to ask myself  'do I really need this?', which is ok and quite wise and keeps me from blowing my money on stupidities, but I think I push this a bit too far. So I only buy one cream for my face and body, instead of 10 different ones for each part. Same goes for cleaning products. I use toilet paper for everything (tissues? kitchen paper? unknown in my shopping list) (if I ever made shopping lists). I have one big knife in my kitchen, I cut everything with it. Wine glasses, who needs them? Umbrellas you buy only to lose them. I'm supposed to have a tool box? For what? I use conditioner for my hair, because I'm not stupid, but all the other hair products make me crazy. I don't have that much space in the bathroom!
And I walk around in ballerinas even if it rains hard.

I took this poetic photo this morning. Rainy days should be spent in bed.

Don't get me wrong, its not that I'm against all these things, on the contrary. When I go to my mom's or my sister's or my friends' (i.e. houses where I can take liberties) I enjoy myself thoroughly. Oh how soft are the tissues they hand me for my runny nose! How beautifully the wine glistens in the oval glass! There's a product for shining the shoes! The strawberry scented face cream makes my skin shine! The magical spray settles the annoying tuft of hair in the back of my head, imagine!

I'm like this because I'm like this, but also because at times my life has been incredibly restricted by the balance of my bank account and there have been days when I've had to decide whether to use the remaining two coins for milk for coffee (luxury) or for something to eat. With this in the background it's hard to understand that now I actually have money for lemon scented candles. Or an eyelash curler. Next I just have to get over the fact that I hate shopping.

You can rightly wonder how I generally survive or if I'm even able to feed or/and dress myself. I understand your concern. But no worries, I have a lovely man in my life who is, ahem, like...my...mother. In a sense that he loves spending time in the supermarket choosing the things he buys. I'm going to be so comfortable and looked after in our future home.

The boots are pink, in case you're wondering. I love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment